Sunday, November 7, 2010

The End?

Well hey there friends and enemies!

Bet you thought I fell of the face of the earth, huh?

Bet you thought I'd been having all sorts of magical adventures, exciting hijinks, and feats of derring-do.

Bet you haven't even given it a second thought.

I won't lie; I myself am firmly in that latter category. It's been an impossibly ridiculous busy 6 months since last I posted. I haven't thought that much at all about cooking or writing or any of you. Sorry.

To re-cap:

1. There was the normal amount of summer ephemera, i.e. laying out at the pool, spending time with the family, flirting on the patio at Jackie O's, Brew Week, films with The Movie Buff, bike rides and runs etc.

2. Almost all of my close friends moved away from Athens. It was a summer of lasts, of going away parties, of box packing and truck loading, of tearful goodbyes.

3. I helped Roomie move all the way down to Miami, Florida. It was 24 hours of driving, followed by a whirlwind week of cleaning, shopping, unpacking, organizing, more tearful goodbyes.

4. Then I drove the whole way back by myself.

5. I decided that it was about time to start thinking about going back for my PhD. Researching schools, picking schools, writing statements, requesting letters, paying for transcripts, realizing I have to take the GRE again. I'm exhausted just typing it all out.

6. I am teaching 2 sections of Freshman Comp, a section of Writing About Culture, and a Learning Community for English majors. All of these classes had to be planned from scratch. New books, new assignments, new lectures. I haven't read a narrative book since April.

7. HoneyBunny moved back from the wilds of ANC AK to live with me in Athens. There were freakouts, there was melty, bloody fish, more freakouts, cleaning with a heretofore unheard of amount of baking soda, bleach, vinegar, and Febreeze.

There was very little time (or drive, if I'm being honest) to do any novel cooking and baking. I mostly stuck to the tried and true, oldies-but-goodies, that are already recorded for posterity here at "IVV."

Additionally, amid all the busy (or perhaps because of all the hustle-bustle) I let some other parts of my life get a little out of control.

In an effort to start fixing/facing those problems (and because I'm an self-disclosure junkie at heart), I'm starting a new blog and putting "In Vegan, Veritas" on hiatus for a while.

But don't get to excited just yet fans and detractors. You're not getting rid of me just yet.

Thanks for all the comments and support over the past year and a half. It's been super real, kids, and I've had a great time.

Be back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment